IABM Conference Stream at BroadcastAsia 2020
Tuesday 29 September
Day theme: Transforming Broadcast Technology
Harnessing emerging technology innovation enabling broadcast and media companies to make, manage and distribute better content more efficiently.
11.00 The Health of the Media Technology Industry
- Market Intelligence The health of the media technology industry
New IABM market intelligence on the state of the media technology business in Asia Pacific, plus strategies for broadcast and media companies, and their technology suppliers, to thrive.
11:15 Building the Future Media Facility
Cloud, virtualization, 12G and IP are revolutionizing broadcast facilities, studios and OB trucks, powering more efficient, flexible operations and enabling upgrades to 4K and beyond. Explore the options for new infrastructure with case studies of the most exciting new facilities, and discover what projects are around the corner as CTOs reveal their investment roadmaps.
- Industry Insight Why build 4K facilities – and is IP or 12G SDI the way to go? - Asking if South East Asian broadcasters should adopt 4K, and whether IP or the latest version of SDI is the best approach for new 4K projects.
- Case Study All in with IP – engineering a broadcast infrastructure transformation First-hand experience of designing and planning every step of a project to transition to an all-IP infrastructure.
- Case Study Software-defined networks for automated video distribution - Designing a self-provisioning self-service platform for users to create their own transmissions for video content exchange.
13:00 Enabling AI Across the Content Chain
Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are transforming every step of the content chain from camera to consumer. Unveiling the latest innovation direct from leading research labs, case studies revealing how real-world applications of AI and ML are working today, and broadcast tech leaders debate "will AI save broadcast?"
- Keynote The future of AI in broadcast - One of Asia Pacific's leading broadcast AI research scientists reveals what's coming out of the labs, and how AI is changing (and recognizing) the face of broadcast.
- Case Study Streamlining subtitles with neural machine translation - Machine translation and cloud orchestration meets subtitles for a high-capacity multi-language broadcast television company as it adapts to the OTT media market.
- Fireside Chat Automating broadcast content production with AI innovation - Behind the scenes of one of the region's biggest broadcasters’ AI innovation – the catalyst for automated production, natural-language processing and gaming engines driving immersive sports graphics.
15:00 Transforming Live Sports Production
From high-end live production to new low-cost techniques for televising niche games for the first time. From IP-based remote production to the rise of OTT sports platforms, uncover the emerging tech and production techniques transforming the way the most exciting events are brought to every screen.
- Case Study Innovating low-cost live sports production - Cost-effective technology combined with innovative engineering and operations are opening up new sports to live broadcast for the first time.
- Case Study Delivering best-in-class sports OTT experiences - How the world's leading OTT sports platform manages 25,000 live sports events per year across multiple countries, the challenge of managing massive scale, personalization and using consumer data to drive better experiences.
- Case Study Achieving ultra-low latency for live sports distribution in the cloud - A leading Japanese broadcaster delivers amazingly-low streaming latency for its World Cup Volleyball coverage with the help of the cloud and cutting-edge video encoding.
- Panel Technology roadmap – plans and projects for the year ahead | Broadcast and digital media technology leaders reveal their plans and investment priorities.
Wednesday 30 September
Day theme: Delivering the Consumer Media Revolution
Navigating the new world of content consumption, revenues and advertising – from the latest hybrid TV and pay TV platforms to the best approach for building streaming services to engage consumers and compete in the future media business.
11:00 Shaping the Future of TV Broadcasting
Success for broadcasters, linear channels and pay TV operators depends on delivering the right combination of linear and on-demand services, blending hybrid TV with OTT. Understand the future potential with up-to-date market analysis, hear the stories of successful transformation projects, and find out how to develop hybrid TV services.
- Sponsored Session Taking Live into the Cloud
- Keynote Transforming broadcast platforms, operations and technology - Broadcasters and pay TV platforms must transform to survive new digital competitors, meet the growing expectations of consumers and stay profitable. Revealing the priorities for investment – from a compelling front-end user experience to efficient back-end infrastructure able to deliver content, metadata and search across TV and OTT.
- Fireside Chat Launching a modern satellite TV platform - Going inside a TV platform operation in the Philippines that enables content owners to launch new channels rapidly, reaching an audience of 4.5 million viewers while enhancing the bouquets of DTH operators.
- Fireside Chat How linear broadcast will evolve in the OTT/hybrid world - Charting strategies for established broadcasters to thrive in the modern media market – from analogue to digital, from broadcasting to multiplatform, VOD and OTT, from mobile services to new advertising initiatives.
13:00 Growing Direct-to-Consumer Services
Picking the optimum business model from SVOD to AVOD, and creating the right blend of content, tech and user experience tailored to each market are essential for a successful modern media business. Going it alone or partnering with others, competing with the global streaming giants or targeting a niche, hear how successful direct-to-consumer platforms have flourished.
- Keynote Competing with the global giants – a recipe for OTT success in Asia | In an OTT market dominated by Silicon Valley behemoths, the pressure is on for regional players to compete. The secret is in understanding local content tastes and business models while delivering world-beating levels of user experience.
- Case Study Building scalability and elasticity into OTT services - How OTT services can scale up for peak traffic without building excess capacity: inside the architecture needed to deliver brilliant user experience and quality-of-service to millions of viewers without busting the budget.
- Keynote Engineering an OTT platform at scale - Behind the scenes of one of the biggest new OTT platform launches to see the engineering and technology architecture needed to deliver consistent performance and a great user experience.
- Fireside Chat Competing in the OTT business: Using data to get the business model right - Optimizing OTT business models is challenging: From securing the best talent and content rights, to tuning the mix of revenue between advertising, subscriptions and content sales, to managing the balance between owned-and-operated platforms and social media. Explore how data science and machine learning can be the solution.
15:00 The future of entertainment technology
The growth of consumer platforms is driving a content renaissance underpinned by new ways to make that content more efficiently and securely. Explore case studies using the latest creative production tech, from collaboration in the cloud to remote editing, and debate whether building, buying or partnering is the best way to develop new tools.
- Keynote Building a short-form OTT platform to beat the world - Short-form content is making waves in the streaming market with the launch of Quibi on the global stage and Singapore-based Viddsee. Explore what's behind their success.
- Case Study Combining OTT and free to air Broadcast - An amazing case study involving the Taiwan National Opera House and how broadcasters enabled viewers to select their preferred choice of camera angle and coverage.
- Panel On the screen and on the field: what broadcasters and esports producers can learn from each other - What can esports learn from traditional sports broadcasters about reaching a mass audience? And what can broadcasters learn about innovative formats and production techniques? A panel of both groups come together to debate.