AMSTERDAM, June 14, 2021 – Irdeto, the world leader in digital security, today announces the results of a successful financial year 2021. Despite the unprecedented global circumstances, Irdeto welcomed new customers across the business, launched new products, and saw growth in all of its verticals.
COVID-19 impacted Irdeto for the entire financial year 2021, which ended 31 March 2021. The unforeseen circumstances resulted in unusual spikes in online piracy, especially at the beginning of the global pandemic. As professional sports began to return from their initial shutdowns in the early summer 2020, so too did the pirates. Irdeto saw an 18-fold increase in traffic to popular illicit streaming sites during May and June (2020) as well as a 50% increase in searches for sports streams between early June and mid-July.
Irdeto Video Entertainment experienced robust demand throughout the year and continued to innovate and respond to the customer requests and needs for new products and services.
- Irdeto’s commitment to service, quality and flexibility to address the customer needs resulted in 26 new customers, six of which are tier-one, signing up for Irdeto products and services. Simultaneously the partner network was further strengthened across the world.
- Irdeto launched Irdeto Keys & Credentials for Routers, a fully managed service that lays the security foundations into any broadband customer premise equipment (CPE), ensuring recoverability and resilience for both CPE and the ISP infrastructure in the event of a router hijack or spoofing.
- The first pre-integrated solution for video file transfer and forensic watermarking to aid the entertainment industry combat video piracy was brought to the market. Irdeto TraceMark™ for Distribution, a watermarking solution for content owners, post-production studios, and content aggregators, was integrated with IBM’s Aspera on Cloud and now offers the film industry a fast to market, easy to implement, and affordable solution towards the fight against piracy.
- OTT operators benefit from the scalability and reliability that Irdeto provides to its customers. The number of DRM licenses issued and OTT streams protected was well above 22 billion over the year.
Denuvo by Irdeto saw heightened adoption of anti-cheat and anti-piracy SDKs built for PC, console, and mobile video game publishers and developers contributing to Irdeto’s success. Anti-cheat and antitamper both had a successful year.
- Denuvo Anti-Cheat usage increased approximately by 90% year-on-year and Denuvo AntiTamper by 40%.
- Denuvo continues its solid track record of protecting AAA titles while also collaborating with game developers of all sizes. Among the six new companies now taking advantage of Denuvo technology is Traplight, a Finnish game developer using newly launched Denuvo Mobile protection for their recently launched game Battle Legion
- In January, Denuvo by Irdeto announced that its anti-cheat technology would be available to all Valve Steamworks partners. This announcement was quickly followed by news that Irdeto had joined the exclusive PlayStation®5 Tools and Middleware program. Denuvo’s Anti-Cheat technology helps game developers protect sensitive game logic or data, preventing cheaters from changing delicate variables and ensuring its trustworthiness.
Irdeto Connected Health grew its footprint in the past 12 months while COVID-19 swept across the globe, highlighting the need for proper cyber security practices and protection, especially within the healthcare sector. Medical Economics found a 350% increase in cyberattacks in healthcare since the start of COVID, providing evidence of the lacking focus on cyber security within the industry.
- The first customers signed up to work with Irdeto to secure their medical devices and to meet the regulatory requirements in the EU and North America.
- Irdeto gained new partners and joined industry associations such as MedTech Europe and Terkko Health Hub to work with industry leaders worldwide.
- The coming year will witness Irdeto launching even more cyber security products to help customers navigate the complexity of the industry and to ensure the market readiness of their medical devices.
Irdeto Connected Transport experienced a solid year by launching new products and welcoming new customers across its business segments of rail, construction and automotive. In total Irdeto welcomed five new transport customers, including European and US construction equipment manufacturers.
- Irdeto’s Anomality Detection Solution (ADS) was deployed by Selectron, paving a way to potentially expand the solution across Irdeto markets beyond transportation.
- The strengthen partnership with Selectron resulted in the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) being now in production with Knorr-Bremse.
- Launch of Keystone for construction is now bringing extra safety measures for the construction equipment operators. First-to-market, Irdeto’s Keystone is a secure access management platform for off-highway vehicles, including forklifts and construction equipment.
- Implementation of Keystone on all new Hyundai vehicles in China provides more control for vehicle owners. Hyundai has now embedded 200,000 vehicles with Irdeto’s Keystone technology.
- The team developed capabilities for securing voice-based user interfaces which is being used by a leading European OEM, a new customer for Irdeto. This solution addresses several critical in-car use cases in where the speaker must be identified by their voice biometric.
Irdeto’s continuous innovation and customer focus was acknowledged by numerous industry parties through the 24 awards won in the past 12 months, including distinction as the NAB Product of the Year, 20 Cybersecurity Excellence Awards across product, software, and company categories as well as in Cyber Security Awards and VideoTech Innovation Awards.
“During the past year, we’ve seen robust demand across our key markets, and exceeded our targets for the year despite the unexpected challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Doug Lowther, CEO of Irdeto. “Our commitment to innovation has enabled us to keep supporting customers and partners worldwide, and to play a key role in launching several new customers and customer applications. I look forward to continuing our momentum into 2021, and to further expanding Irdeto’s mission to help people embrace connectivity without fear.”
With a unique heritage in security innovation, Irdeto is the well-established and reliable partner to build a secure future where people can embrace connectivity without fear. The company’s healthy financial base and continuous growth through businesses provide a stable partner to customers and other stakeholders. Irdeto is part of MultiChoice Group, which last week announced its financial results for the financial year 2021. The Group reported revenue of US$3.93 billion, up by 4% from the previous year.
Irdeto is the world leader in digital platform security, protecting platforms and applications for video entertainment, video games, connected transport, connected health and IoT connected industries. Irdeto’s solutions and services enable customers to protect their revenue, create new offerings and fight cybercrime effectively. With more than 50 years of expertise in security, Irdeto’s software security technology and cyberservices protect more than six billion devices and applications for some of the world’s best-known and loved brands. People are Irdeto’s biggest strength and diversity is celebrated through an inclusive workplace, where everyone has an equal opportunity to drive innovation and support Irdeto’s success. With a unique heritage in security innovation, Irdeto is the well-established and reliable partner to build a secure future where people can embrace connectivity without fear. For more information, please visit www.irdeto.com.
- Business Models
- Financials, Investment & M&A
- Security (e.g. Cyber, Encryption, Conditional Access etc)