Swarm 12 Intelligent Data Management for Content Access, Delivery & Archive
By Eric Day, Director of Product, Caringo
Wed 25, 11 2020
Swarm v12 is still object storage, but has evolved into an intelligent data management platform for content access, delivery and archive
As if the data landscape was not already challenging, it became even more so because of COVID-19. With myriad companies suddenly moving to an almost completely remote workforce, the accessibility of files for remote workers was and remains on the critical path for just about every type of business you can imagine.
Challenges for Storing Data in the 21st Century
As Swarm release version 12 was in planning, we identified a number of challenges that organizations faced in dealing with data in this third decade of the 21st Century. As data piled up, traditional storage was often augmented with public cloud storage. For some, a public cloud solution was ideal, but for others, it was lacking in security, accessibility and affordability. So, with Swarm 12, we set out to make it easier for businesses to:
- Add storage capacity continuously while transparently providing data access
- Comply with industry and government regulations
- Keep both TCA (total cost of acquisition) and TCO (total cost of ownership) within budget
- Archive data securely long term
- Ensure that remote staff can access the data they need
- Leverage cost benefits of public cloud for disaster recovery
What’s New in Swarm Version 12?
In Swarm 12, we continue to evolve object storage into an intelligent data management system. From the beginning, we’ve worked to make Swarm smart (if you are not familiar with The Smarts of the Swarm whitepaper, it is worth a read). And, in our latest release, we’ve focused on enabling more flexible distributed protection and immediate global content use across geographically dispersed sites. We’ve done this through a variety of changes including:
- Automated management of distributed synchronous workflows via remote synchronous write (RSW) policies
- Ease of use for end-users as they store, organize, find and share files through an updated user interface (UI) that includes drag & drop, multi-upload and an improved content view that is familiar to users
- Expanded identity management connectivity via single sign-on (SSO) with SAML 2.0 that includes support for services like Okta, OneLogin and Google GSuite
- Cost optimization for long-term (cold) storage leveraging tape through AWS S3 Glacier and AWS S3 Glacier Deep Archive support and certification with FUJIFILM Object Archive (a tape object solution)
- Architectural optimizations for flash and optimal utilization of dense storage nodes
Learn More About Swarm Version 12
Join me and Sr. Consultant John Bell for our Tech Tuesday webinar to learn more about Swarm 12 Intelligent Data Management for Access, Archive and Content. We will take a deep dive into new features and functionality as well as the benefits that Swarm 12 brings to organizations struggling with storing and managing data. Feel free to bring your questions to the webinar, or email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more information immediately.
Based on your recent activity and preferences we recommend the following pieces of content
A look back at Brews & Bytes (B&B) webcasts on broader topics around storage, technology and the world in which we live This week, we continue taking a look ba...
By Sarah Cook, Director of Marketing, Caringo15 days ago
Editshare – EFSv: Seamless Proxy Editing “Provides the pathway to a hybrid on-prem in the cloud model of media production. It takes the benefits of both and remo...
IABM19 days ago
IABM Journal 115Published Q4 2020Journal is the IABM Magazine released every quarter that covers hot topics within the industry. It is distributed at major shows,...
IABM50 days ago
Caringo joins IABM’s BaM Live virtual event to discuss Swarm object storage’s data management capabilities for optimizing workflows With Thanksgiving today...
By Sarah Cook, Director of Marketing, Caringo52 days ago
We’ve worked with customers on cloud-native applications since 2006 and that approach is used in our own product development. “What should we talk about next month on ...
By Sarah Cook, Director of Marketing, Caringo59 days ago
We speak to Cloudian Principal Architect, M&E Solutions David Phillips about their Ransomeware protection products and flash object storage.
IABM67 days ago
Tiger Technology’s CTO Alexander Lefterov, Executive VP Lance Kelson & Nick Warburton, Brand Director Global Distribution.Join Tiger Technology’s CTO Alexander Lef...
IABM87 days ago
Join Global & Tiger Technology to see how Space & Spaces MAM be used with any NAS device or Tiger Store environment to help drive workflow efficiencies, by pro...
IABM87 days ago